Avery Dennison Production Supervisor - 2nd Shift in Mill Hall, Pennsylvania
Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY) is a global materials science company specializing in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of labeling and functional materials. The company’s products, which are used in nearly every major industry, include pressure-sensitive materials for labels and graphic applications; tapes and other bonding solutions for industrial, medical, and retail applications; tags, labels and embellishments for apparel; and radio frequency identification (RFID) solutions serving retail apparel and other markets. Headquartered in Glendale, California, the company employs more than 30,000 employees in over 50 countries. Reported sales in 2019 were $7.1 billion. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
The Team Manager will be responsible for leading a shift manufacturing team, involving continuous coordination of production-related activities, workforce planning, labor relations and effective communication in order to meet production objectives and customer expectations with the highest standard of quality, efficiency, safety, and housekeeping. The Team Manager also acts as a mentor and coach for Shift Leader(s) and Assistant Shift Leader(s).
OPERATIONS / PRODUCTIVITY INITIATIVES:
• Directly supervise production employees. Monitor work, alter schedules to meet unforeseen conditions, control load factors and flow of work to ensure maximum use of available capacity and effective use of labor, tools and equipment.
• Improve production capabilities through effective performance management and planning/utilization of human and capital resources.
• Collaborate with other functional areas to resolve problems and develop improved manufacturing processes. Make efforts to reduce manufacturing waste and process complexity.
• Analyze and draw information for daily operational needs and improvement for the team. Provide prompt problem solving for key issues.
• Responsible for key operational measures within business unit (service, quality, productivity, cost, safety).
• Drive improvement strategies in all key metric areas; manage production flow, staffing schedule and resources to budget and plan.
• Lead 5S activities, housekeeping, and waste reduction programs
• Ensure best practices and standard operating procedures are being followed by conducting frequent business audits.
• Coach, mentor and develop direct reports, assuring effective teamwork and individual effectiveness within the organization
• Support performance management activities – including performance evaluation, objective setting, and developmental planning for hourly manufacturing employees
• Perform general management duties, exercising usual authority concerning staff, performance appraisals, promotions and terminations. Responsible for training and development of subordinate staff, estimating personnel needs, assigning work, meeting completion dates, interpreting and ensuring consistent application of organizational policies. Maintain all timekeeping, overtime and vacation records and schedules.
• Conduct effective training of new employees and continued cross-training and development of existing employees
• Act as a team role model and change-agent. Positively lead and influence team members to partner together to achieve individual and business goals.
• Model and promote the Corporation’s Code of Business Ethics and Values.
• Support and promote safety initiatives along with active participation in near misses and accident investigations. Provide training, periodic reviews and support to safety team as needed.
• Lead the efforts to create a safety conscious environment; be actively involved in safety initiatives.
• Lead monthly emergency drills and safety huddles.
• Maintain operator training materials and schedules.
• Support ISO 9001 & 14001 initiatives
• High School Degree required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• 6+ years manufacturing operations experience in a chemical plant working with hazardous materials and reactive chemistry. Shift leader experience preferred.
• Ability to adapt to a dynamic, fast paced, and rapidly changing environment while effectively managing and meeting the high level of manufacturing demands
• Ability to work all shifts: Day, Evening, Midnights.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to influence others and interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
• Strong ability to manage, coach and develop a diverse team of individuals performing a variety of tasks.
• Ability to think ahead, anticipate problems, make decisions and take appropriate action.
• Skilled in analyzing and drawing information for daily operational needs, problem solving, and improvement for the team.
• Demonstrated hands on process and productivity improvements
• Experience with lean manufacturing programs, tools and processes: including Kaizen events, 5S, Standard Work and Waste Reduction
• Experience within manufacturing, ISO 9000 and 14001 preferred
• Competence in the following areas: analyzing problems and issues, driving for results, engaging and inspiring others, exercising insightful judgment, inspiring trust, leading courageously and promoting collaboration
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you require accommodations to view or apply for a job, alternative methods are available to submit an application. Please contact 440.534.6080 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss reasonable accommodations.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled