Avery Dennison Technical Innovation Manager in Mentor, Ohio
Avery Dennison is a global leader in labeling and packaging materials and solutions. The company’s applications and technologies are an integral part of products used in every major market and industry. With operations in more than 50 countries and more than 26,000 employees worldwide, Avery Dennison serves customers with insights and innovations that help make brands more inspiring and the world more intelligent.
Headquartered in Pasadena, California, the company reported sales from continuing operations of $6 billion in 2012. Learn more at www.averydennison.com.
About Avery Dennison RBIS
Avery Dennison RBIS, a global leader in apparel and footwear industry solutions, is a $1.5 billion division of Avery Dennison (NYSE: AVY). Avery Dennison RBIS provides intelligent creative and sustainable solutions that elevate brands and accelerate performance throughout the global retail supply chain. We elevate brands through graphic tickets, tags and labels, embellishments and packaging solutions that enhance consumer appeal. We accelerate performance through RFID enabled inventory and loss prevention solutions, price management, global compliance, and brand security solutions.
Based in Westborough, Massachusetts Avery Dennison RBIS responsibly serves the global marketplace with operations in 115 locations, 50 countries, across 6 continents. For more information, visit www.rbis.averydennison.com.
In this role you will be responsible for the research team for adhesives and inks systems. You will have the accountability for overseeing multiple technical innovations projects focused on developing next -generation core technologies in the area of adhesives, inks and coatings. This includes the incorporation of sustainability into our core technology offerings aswell our next generation developments. You will work with Product Line managers and various technology group leaders ( internal and external) to effectively lead our stage gate process for new product developments. Additionally you will work with leadership to proactively develop and scout opportunities in the adhesive and ink space related to textile, apparel market.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
● Overseeing and accountable for multiple technical innovation projects
● Developing next generation core technologies in the area of adhesives, ink and coatings
● Lead and manage the research team
● Incorporating sustainability into our core technologies offering
● Leading the stage gate process and working close together with the deployment managers during the commercialisation process of our new products
● Overseeing technical evaluation and root-cause analysis of quality failures
● Navigate and understand the complex relationships between PLM, external suppliers/partners and internal operations and then leverage this knowledge to develop new or enhancements of products
● Act as centralized point-of-contact, working with PLM, Operations and Project Managers, to orchestrate the assignment of resources to the different development and scouting projects,
● Provide regular and ad hoc reports on outstanding projects and scouting activities
● Engaging with new suppliers and partners to help feeding our innovation pipeline
● Understand our current production processes and evaluate eventual improvements through chemistry improvements or machines upgrades
● Drive the chemical safety and stewardship standards with the organisation
● 3-5 years of innovation experience with a min of 3-5 years of technical management experience, ideally within a chemical ( Adhesive and ink) environment
● Flexibility and ability to learn quickly in a fast moving environment
● Familiar with leading stage gate processes of new products
● Team player who takes initiative and ownership
● Ability to plan and prioritise
● Ability to interact with people at all levels and able to influence/negotiate
● Strong chemistry knowledge
● Experience in working with suppliers and other stakeholders to deliver new innovation
● Strong entrepreneurial spirit with capability to lead and thrive in a cross functional organization.
● Fundamental understanding of chemical safety and steward standards
● Ability to explain technical topics to a non-technical audience
● Must demonstrate leadership and motivation skills.
● Strong written and verbal communications skills
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or other protected status. EEOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled